Monday, March 26, 2012

A wonderful week in Calgary

Heidi was baptized by her father who was baptized only a month before
Families are forever!
Ryan making friends with the Morales family pet ;)

YO!

This week was amazing! We came, we saw, and we conquered!! Tons of incredible miracles...it was a week full of high lights basically. The first one was that Heidi was baptized yesterday!! At the start of the week there was zero signs of it happening...Luz the mom really wanted to have her wait awhile. But, on Wednesday Franky (Marisol's son), the member who brought them into the church, went over and talked to them, and said something good because that is where the permission was given. So we had just a couple days to plan the service and get her interviewed. It was easily the most spiritual baptisms I have been to. The people we assigned for the talks were super inspired and just brought the Spirit so strongly. And then of course to see a recent convert, (her father) in the water baptizing his daughter and blessing the sacrament earlier for the first time was awesome! So that was sweet, and on Wednesday we are going over to their house to eat tacos al pastor, one of my favorites. Last week we put a random English member in our plans and stopped by. The lady is pregnant and I think for that reason was a little grumpy at us haha. She did not want to set up an appt. with us, so to get us off her back she said look elders our neighbors next door just moved here from Venezuela, go for it. That was all we needed. We walked over and two teenagers answered, Marlo and Brandon. They went and got their mom Irilda. We talked to them for a few minutes and set up a return appointment for Saturday. We brought our new branch missionaries, who are from Venezuela as well. We were not able to teach anything, because the two families hit it off really well and talked for a longgg time (I am not going to say how long haha) but we found out enough about them. The husband is Jimmy and they are a super friendly and nice family. They don't believe in the Catholic church, which I always love hearing ha. But they said since they have been here in Canada, they have not attended a church. Irilda told us that the very day we knocked the door and met them, she had mentioned to her husband that they needed to join a Christian church here in Spanish...interesting huh? Then she told us that a lot of her loved ones have passed away, and she said she has a "feeling" that families are supposed to last forever, and not end when we die. We were able to talk about how we are probably the only church that teaches that doctrine, and we got them super excited about meeting with us. They wanted to come to church yesterday, but were not able to. We are pumped to start teaching them! Those were the two big highlights, among other great things too but not enough time for me to share it all.

My personal study this morning was very revelatory and the Lord was definitely teaching me this one principle. The culmination of it I guess (wow that's a big word for me) was when I read D&C 64:33-34. That hit me big time. We cannot give up on choosing the right and making righteous decisions, even when it seems like nothing is coming of it. God is eternal, and so are His blessings for us. We put a timetable on everything, but that is not how eternal life is. Just keep enduring righteously, and trust that He is aware of your sacrifices. We are already in debt to Him, but He is not keeping track. So I guess that turned into the spiritual thought of the day haha.

I already told Blake, but my guesses for him are Australia and Texas Spanish speaking. I didn't pick those because I had strong feelings like when I picked Canada, honestly they were just the first 2 that popped in my head. I don't know how I am going to focus this week! I am super excited for him. Darn you couldn't wait one more day to take me to Daughtry too! Haha that will be a fun couple of days for you, I am jealous! You never told me how his new album turned out, I assume that is what he is playing.

About a new suit, yes mom today I plan on going to Moores and getting a new suit and maybe a new white shirt, so I might need a little extra money in the account. Also, do I need to bring home the snowboarding bag and church clothes bag? I am hoping to come home with just a backpack and sending the rest of the stuff home through the mail, but if you need the luggage let me know.Thanks for the heads up on my homecoming speaking date on Fathers Day, I am glad I don't have to write a homecoming talk while I am still out here then...I have some time to think about it. I would like a BYU basketball update also if that is ok. Anyways, I better get going but good luck to Blake! I will be expecting to hear where the Lord needs him as soon as you can get the news to me!!

Love you all and have a great time at conference!!!

Elder Draper

No comments:

Post a Comment