Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday January 31, 2011

BEST. WEEK. EVER. That is all I have to say about this week.

Yes the temp has dipped way back down this weekend...like way way down. It is kind of scary that I am pretty much accustomed to it. Alright Bishop Conover! That sounds like the right decision to me. Great, great guy, that will be fun to come home and see that. Wow thanks for sharing that story mom. Satan does try to deceive us in that way.

Well I don't have much time so I will just cut to the chase and share the news: Baptism this Sunday!!! Our newest investigator Juan Carlos that came to church last week? Yeah, he is totallyyyy prepared and is getting baptized 12 days after first teaching him starting last Monday. He is from Mexico and has just had a crazy life: started smoking at age 14 (he's 32 and just stopped last week the day before we taught him!!), got into drinking and even harder illegal drugs. Now he wants to change all of that and become clean again. We have taught him 5 times this week and have so many stories to share about him but don't have any time! Basically we have not had to do anything. The Lord simply placed a perfectly ready soul in our path and we are just teaching him the missionary lessons real quick so he can be baptized. Seriously we have taught him all of the main big stuff like chastity, Word of Wisdom, tithing, and he has no problems with any of them. Last night he was like "Well I threw so much money in the trash buying cigarettes and booze, I might as well give that money to a good cause!" Also yesterday was fast Sunday, because next week is stake conference, and without even teaching him about fasting and why we do it he shows up to church and says he is fasting too! So cool!!! We taught him Monday night and on Tuesday night he calls us and tells us to come over right away. We got there and his left arm is bandaged up from his elbow to his hand! He cut himself really bad at work with a saw, all the way to the bone and cut tendons. We were scared he was going to drop us because this bad thing happened to him right when he started meeting with us (because that has happened to me before with investigators) but instead he says "Wow it looks like Satan does not want me to be baptized" haha how cool is that? So he will be baptized with a cast thing on, I imagine we will have to tie a bag over it so it does not get wet. I call him Rocky Balboa because I am telling you, he is the closest looking Rocky I have ever seen.

I have grown so much during the last 3 weeks. My Spanish mostly because we are both new and I have kind of taken the lead in the lessons. But also just with my reliance on the Lord. I cannot do all of these things without Him. I am an ordinary kid from Orange County California, but I have an extraordinary calling, so He will always make up the difference. I can't wait to send pics next week and tell you about how the baptism goes. I know that this is the true church. Things like this do not happen with the Baptists or the JW's or the Catholics. The Spirit combined with personal revelation is operative in this church only I am confident of that.

Let me know if you have any questions about Juan Carlos or anything! He is divorced and his 3 kids live in Mexico, and he is working on getting them up here. This baptism is special to me because I get to see it from start to finish, in only 12 days. I am grateful to be here and to have the opportunity to see people change and join the kingdom of God! I love you all so much!!! Have an awesome week!!!!! Go Cougs!

Love,

Elder Draper

No comments:

Post a Comment