Monday, September 12, 2011

Monday September 12, 2011

Happy comps during their first transfer together - Elder Dutson and Draper
In the north east area of the city, there is a neighborhood full of southern California city names! I'll take pictures of the rest when I serve up there. This picture's for mom - Costa Mesa girl!

A random park with Avatar looking statues
We had a baptism Sunday, Horacio from Chihuahua Mexico. His wife Aris will be baptized super soon too!

Que onda!?

Today we will hit the basketball court after emailing but first things first....It looks like fall is officially here! The leaves are changing and so is the weather...it is starting to take it's gradual dip, ughhh. But luckily there are a ton of sweet miracles happening and that makes me happy! That is funny that you saw Kirby (Elder Calhoun in the Best Two Years) at the Marriott in Rexburg, he seems like kind of a nerd to me, but maybe that is just the role he always plays in the movies.

So yeah we were talking about how crazy fast the 10 years went since 9/11. I feel like that was just a few years ago, but I was in 5th grade at Wagon Wheel! The USA is the Promised Land in the Book of Mormon that is for sure. I was reading in 1 Nephi today about that and how our land will be safe and preserved for Zion unless the people and leaders become wicked and corrupt...hmmm it seems like that is starting to happen haha. Guess we'll see what happens.

Yeah mom I have been getting emails almost weekly from Facebook about my email address, I feel like a bad missionary everytime I see them so thanks for fixing that for me. To answer some of your questions, I have not made that flan yet, but I am going to buy the ingredients this week and give it a try. I make a few things we eat with members, like tacos. I am STOKED for Wednesday dinner with the Gomez family, they are from Mexico. They are going to make us tacos de lengua (tongue tacos) and to wash it down with tamarindo juice. That is a fruit in mexico that I lovee. I will be sure to take pictures! I have not heard from Nellie in a while, I am going to write her a letter and see how she is doing. Yesterday Elder Nielsen and Elder Nate had a baptism and so as the zone leader I get to attend all the baptisms in the zone! We went up north and I got to see Rocky and Rosa Zamudio (Elle's mom). She went through for her endowment last week and was talking to me about how she is struggling to sleep with them on haha. I was like yep that happens to everybody, you will get used to it soon. Good times haha.

So this week was one of the most miracle filled weeks ever! Here is a few of them: We got a call from the west Spanish elders on Tuesday night. They went over to a members home and the member had a mexican friend over named Mario, not planned at all. They ended up teaching Mario, and he is super interested in learning about the gospel! And it turns out that he lives in our area! He showed up to church and loved it, and we are meeting with him this week. He is looking for a church so we are superrr confident. Then on Friday I went on exchanges with Elder Nielsen in the north east. We got a call from Sis Gillis, a member in the north east area, saying that she felt inspired to have the missionaries over immediately, so she had us over for lunch the next day, the day I happened to be in the area on exchanges. So we share a message about the Atonement, not knowing why we are there. Bro. Gillis speaks up and says that he met a Mexican man Ruben who was interested in english classes and maybe coming to our church. He just had Ruben's number, so after the appt. I gave Ruben a call. He was interested just like Bro. Gillis said, and it turns out that he lives in our area too! He invites us over that night and we have a sweet lesson with him. He leaves for Manitoba in the middle of October, so we are getting him baptized on the 25th of September. He showed up to church, along with Mario, and loved it. Gospel Principles class was on chastity, so I decided to change it and went back and taught chapter 16 I think about the true church of Christ. So amazing! It has been really neat to see the power of faith and prayer, combined with consecration to building up the kingdom of God.

I had a few moments this week where Satan hit me hard and made me not want to do anything, but I just reminded myself of why I am here and that I have set goals that I want to acheive. That helped me rely on the Atonement and focus on the eternal perspective. Good stuff happening here! I am healthy and happy and super pumped for this next 8 months. I know what is required and I have the tools and plans in place, so now it is up to me to follow the Spirit, have faith, and work hard.

Next week is transfers so I'll email on Tuesday. Maybe they'll give me a couple district leaders to help me. Have a great week! Thanks for everything! I love you all and ciao!

Elder Draper

What up Blake? I am super excited for you! Sounds like you have a great set of roommates to hang with. That is cool that there are a couple of Spanish speaking RM's there with you. American Heritage is a beast class lemme tell you that ha. But you are much better student than me so I'm sure you will do fine. Yes tell me what you learn in your mission prep classes and askme any questions. I heard about the Y losing by 1 to Texas. Have fun meeting new people and send some pictures. Did you go to the Dallin H. Oaks CES fireside? I miss those firesides, they are sweet! Well thanks for writing and have a great week. Look forward to hearing how it goes for you...peace out love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment