Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday September 26, 2011 − 1/3 to go!

His signature "I love this place" pose
In front of the missionary pad
On Saturday they were able to participate in the Calgary Inter-faith Food Bank Drive
Looks like the apples were imported from his home state of California :)
Ryan's unloading the cars...
and finally here's all the food they collected and loaded into trucks
Breakfast of champions
Blake has a RM room mate that served in Chile who drinks mate so he asked Ryan if he'd heard of it. Yep, this is just a picture of Ryan's gourd, the canister that he drinks his mate in. Both Ryan and Blake assure us, it's really not bad! (pronounced mah-tay) In fact I found this on Mormon Missions Blogspot:

"In South America for example missionaries drink maté. It is the national drink in Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay, and a common social practice in parts of Brazil, Chile and eastern Bolivia. I first encounter it back in the mid1970s when a friend of mine went to Chile. He said the members pestered you and wouldn't quit until you drank it. They considered it an insult if you didn't drink it. There are special bombilla or silver straws and filters that give the drinker status based on their intricate design. Again missionaries from these countries collect bombas since they are attractive and a token shared by friends."

Heyy!

So I guess today is my 16th birthday haha. I am now a legal preacher of the gospel? Ok sorry for the lame missionary joke, I promise that is not my humor now haha. Dad pointed out that this is the 2/3 mark, and I didn't even realize it! No Mom that does not make me trunky, no worries. Things like that would make missionaries who don't want to be here trunky. I am loving life and am super happy with where I am. I understand now that it will be pretty tough to leave when the time comes. (Here’s a little explanation; I had asked him if he doesn’t like us to write about how much longer he has left…some missionary moms on the website think it’s such a bad thing to talk about, I don’t get it. You talk about how much longer you have till you report to the MTC pre-mission, what’s so horrible about talking about how much longer till you report back home? Weird, so glad he isn’t bothered by it)

Elder Brandon was made a District Leader last week so he is really helping me out! The Lord has guided us to sooo many new investigators this month, like we have picked up 9 but it’s a struggle to teach them. They are so busy and don’t answer their phone. It might help if we could text them. I think we might be able to soon because the AP’s can so hopefully it will get passed down to the ZL’s too. We have not set any baptismal dates yet, but I feel more content with what I am doing now than my whole mission, so I that makes me feel good.

Tell Rachel congrats on making JV!!! I really want to see her play and see how much she has improved since I left. I bet she has a lot! I'm sure Nick and Maddie are tearing it up too with their soccer teams. Man I love sports haha. Yes we get every Ensign in Spanish, so we are good there. I really don't know what I want for Christmas. I would rather just have a big Christmas when I get home. There are just not many things I can have as a missionary that I would ideally want so I’m good. Yeah whenever you send me an SD card I will swap up...there are some sick videos of us ballin!

This week’s menu consisted of pasole, tortas, and vuelva a la vida, all Mexican dishes. Vuelva a la vida is like a cocktail salsa thing, is has shrimp, squid, oyster, tomato, cilantro. That wasn't too great haha. Maybe Dad has had them before? You have to try tongue tacos seriously don't let what it actually is freak you out, the flavor is superr good trust me. I am coming home and cooking one up for you!

This week I was able to interview to baptismal candidates, Aris (the wife of Oracio who got baptized 2 weeks ago) and Alejandro. They both passed and were baptized yesterday which is always amazing. Ok one cool miracle: We were knocking a door that we thought maybe could be Spanish, and nobody answered. We see an Asian parked on the street so we walk up to the window to talk to her, and she rolls the window down. She is not interested, but we ask her if she knows any Spanish people in the area, and she say the door we just knocked is Spanish! So then we walk down the street a bit and feel inspired to knock another door. It turns out that a member answers, and we ask her if she knows any Spanish people, and she points to that same door we had first knocked! So we know that by the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established haha. About 30 minutes later, in a different neighborhood, we drive by a house and the construction workers look Spanish, so we pull over and chat. They aren't, and we ask if the owner of the house is home, and they say yes. So we knock the door and a lady answers, and says she is from Colombia! She tells us that she does not live there and is only helping her father move out, but said we could visit her family any time at her house. So I give her my agenda and she writes the address of her home. We get back in the car and I look at the address and say "Waitttt a minute!!!" Yes! It was that original house that we had knocked! So we are super excited to share this story with Judith and her family and help them see that the Lord led us to them in a very interesting way.

Well today we need to get some shopping done then off to play hoops. Hopefully we will be able to set some baptismal dates this week and help this investigators return back to Heavenly Father! Love you all so much and pray that you have a great week and enjoy conference!!!

Love you so much and have a fun, safe trip!

Elder Draper

Blake, Yessss that is sweet that you are starting to teach! Gotta love Mission Prep! You are going to be such a more prepared missionary than me...plus you have Riley to answer your questions and help you out! Yes I will bring mate home, I attached a picture so you can see my gourd, yeah it's pretty legit. Temple attender huh? That is definitely a calling that I have never heard of, but awesome! There is no better place to be than in the temple so that will be fun for you every week. Yep only 8 months left, I can't believe it. It feels like I just left seriously so weird. Can't wait to hang out with you again! Have a great week Blake love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment