Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday October 17, 2011

Hello hello!

To answer your first question, this week was definitely a 10!! The quick news is that we have 2 baptisms scheduled so far for the 30th of October!! Amalia is the first one...we went by on Tuesday and showed her the movie On The Way Home. It is about a little girl that dies and the family takes the missionary lessons and is baptized. At the end of the movie she said she really liked it. We asked her what she felt like God wanted her to do based on the movie, and she started going off about praying and reading the scriptures, etc., which is true, but not quite the answer we were looking for. I told her that He wants her to come back to Him, and the only way you can do that is...then she cuts me off and says "baptism, yes I know and I will do that very soon". She started talking about work and how she can't get Sundays off, etc. Right then I ask her if she believes that God answers her prayers. She said yes, and we committed her to kneel down right there and pray and ask specifically if God wants her baptized on the 30th. She was all for it so we all knelt down. She didn't say anything for like a minute, and we all look up and it is obvious that she saying a silent prayer. Her son and daughter and law wanted to tell her something, but we motioned to them to let her continue to pray. After 8 minutes on our knees (I was counting), she looks up and says "ok". We sit down and ask her "Well what did He say?" She says that the answer was yes! Then we made sure by inviting her for the 30th, and she accepted! It was one of the most powerful experiences of my mission.

Then the next day we taught a lady named Rosi from Mexico. We read 3 Nephi 11 with her and it was amazing to see the power of the Spirit and the Book of Mormon working on her. We talked about what it says in the chapter, the authority to baptize, the way to perform it, and the doctrine of Christ. All we did was asked her what she thought she needed to do, and she said "I need to get baptized I guess". So we invite her and she accepts for the 30th of October! I'd be thankful with those but no, yet another miracle: It was about 8 PM on Wednesday and I did not like the plans we had made to finish off the night. We felt like going by this one potential investigator instead, Luisa. So we go by at about 8:30 pm. She has never let us in her home, but we have talked to her on the doorstep a few times. She opens the door crying and lets us in. After about 3 minutes of siting in silence, she says that she is sick and has problems with her health and the doctors have no idea what it is. She was scared that it is cancer, and between the fear and the pain she was having one of the worst days of her life. Well, it is apparent that the Lord wanted us here at this time, and she said she normally would not have opened the door, and her husband actually told her not too, but she felt like she needed to do it. We talked about the priesthood and offered her a blessing. We explained how blessing have two parts, and we asked her who she would like to do each part. She looks over at her husband and asks him to give it. Of course he said he has no idea how because he does not hold the priesthood, so we did it. The blessing said according to your faith you will be completely healed, so we are still trying to help her show more faith (by accepting baptism). They have a 9 year old boy too so we are really pushing to get them baptized on the 30th as well.

On Saturday I went on exchanges with Elder Brandon to the Foothills stake. They had an appt with a 9 year old investigator down in High River, about 45 minutes south of Calgary. The appt was not confirmed, so he did not really want to head down there, but I felt like it needed to be done. So we get down there and he is by himself so we can't go inside the house. We get back to the car and decide to go by a Spanish speaking member there, just so we don't waste this long trip. We are driving over and I spot a Latino man walking down the street, and I felt this strong urge to talk to him, but we continue on. We pull up to the house of the member and right then this member happens to call us asking about this 9 year old boy and how he is progressing. Well during the conversation we find out that he does not live at the house we are parked out front of anymore. Just as he explains that, we see this same Latino man that was walking down the street enter into this house where the member used to live!! We recognize that as a sign and go knock the door. This man answers the door and lets us in right on the spot. His name is Marvin and he is from Guatemala, been here four years without his family. We teach him lesson 1 and he recognizes the Spirit and how good he feels, and he accepts to be baptized on the 30th of October! The Lord guided us 45 minutes out of the city to rescue one of his children. My testimony of following through on my inspiration has been strengthened so much, because that is usually the Spirit. The whole zone is doing great and seeing lots of miracles!

Yes I got your letter and the SC cards, thank you!!! Today we are making tortillas! Did I send you that recipe from Sis. Salazar? We tried it yesterday and they turned out amazing, so we are going to make a ton today. Then we'll just play basketball as usual. I sent my sd card a few days ago, so it should arrive this week, you will have plenty o pictures off that so I don't have any today. Thanks for your love and support, it really pumps me up and gets me excited to get back to work!

We usually hold English classes twice a week, and we kind of rotate teaching it. ISO 7X is working very good actually, I love it. I am still right at 160 lbs, I feel very lucky haha. Once I am home I will put on a little more weight, but I don't want to do that here ha.

I better head off mom but I love you! Life is great! The gospel is true! I hope you all have a wonderful week!

I miss you and love you!!

Elder Draper

No comments:

Post a Comment