Friday, July 16, 2010

8th Letter MTC

The Calgary Countdown has begun...T minus 11 days and counting until our phone call from Elder Draper at the Salt Lake City International Airport!


Elder Draper here!

Buenos dias! I am back to my early morning email, for the 2nd to last time! It is so crazy to think I have only 1 more pday here. We are just anxiously waiting to get to Canada!!! Ok so Happy Birthday Mom!!!! I hope you are having a fantastic trip and enjoy your birthday. Actually, my goal is for you guys to not recognize me! Mom I know I will recognize you! (*I told him I'm getting so old that I hope he will still recognize me at the airport in 2 years!*) I am up to 165 lbs so Blake.....you still are behind! (And those ten pounds I have gained are not in my gut don't worry. It is spread around evenly). So I will send one last chip before I leave next week. I am actually going to send a box home with a few things. I cannot bring books outside the approved mission library so I will read that book you sent then send it home. Your trip sounded awesome!! I became the most jealous and sad when I heard about the Hummer ride thing. That sounded LEGIT! Hopefully the package you sent will come today!

So no travel plans yet. They will come either today or tomorrow hopefully. So either expect another quick email today if we get them or if it comes tomorrow, I will write a short letter so you guys will know my schedule before I can email again next Friday. As far as sending those mission logo T's to calgary I will ask President Archibald next week!!! That sounds crazy. I will be walking down the street and will walk up to random REAL people and teach them about the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. So exciting but a little nerve wracking too. Luckily I will have the best "people person" on my side helping me aka God. I won't have a problem going up to people and starting a conversation, just the part where I actually have to teach them something haha.

This week was really really great. On Sunday President Shelly told Elder Davies and I that we would be released this Sunday from our ZL calling. However we are being honorably released so to speak haha. He said that if he wanted the zone to run perfectly the next week, he would just keep us in until we leave. That was nice of him to say that. But he will just give that opportunity to another companionship this Sunday. I had a wonderful 3 weeks serving and hopefully I will get that chance again in the field. However, as our last act as Zone leaders, we get to teach priesthood this Sunday to our branch and another branch, so about 80 missionaries. I will let you know how that goes.

Tuesday Fireside was another emeritus quorum of the 70, Elder Halverson. He spoke about finding people in the field. Yes the new missionary program thanks to Pres Hinckley is to use the members to get investigators, alot of times that doesn't work, and we have to go back to the old school way of finding them. I learned some great techniques to use in the field. Sunday fireside was incredible. It was a musical fireside. Sister Baker, the daughter of Elder Oaks, is like a pro violinist. She played some amazing music which just pierced my heart like no other (didn't cry...kind of...maybe a little). Elder Oaks was there watching her too so that was neat. We have officially learned all of the Spanish tenses!!! SO the next week or so is all about hammering them into my brain. I have a goal of being fluent in Spanish within 3 months of being in the field. I will need lots of help but I really think it is possible. I love speaking Spanish and I am actually really really excited to come home and get to use it after my mission.

Anyways I am going to leave about 5 minutes of email time here just in case I get travel plans and I can email you again a little later today. If not you should get a letter from me before next Friday. Thank you all who write me it means so much!! Have a wonderful week and I love you all!!!!!

Love,

Elder Draper

No comments:

Post a Comment