Friday, June 25, 2010

Fifth Letter MTC



Gooooood Morning Drapers!
Thank you guys for all your letters!!! Once I get into the field I will be able to email you guys individually. I only have time for one family email with the 30 minute timer on my computer. In one month Blake, Rachel, Nick and Maddie can send me individual emails rather than Dear Elders and I will be able to email you guys individually! I am glad you had a nice Father's Day Dad!! I promise I meant to wish you that last week but my mind went crazy during the email when I found out the Lakers won haha. Rachel Toy Story 3 sounds so cool! One of my favorite Disney movies. Rachel since you asked I have gained about 5 pounds physically and about 20 pounds spiritually! Because I have no form of entertainment here, I have come to love reading my scriptures! My favorite book is officially Alma, especially the first 40 or so chapters. Straight up missionary work chapters so those are my favorite. Alma 34 might be my favorite chapter. Nick that is sad about Manute Bol, I guess that pic we had taken with him in the Basketball Hall of Fame means a lot more huh ;) Thanks for your letter Nick. Blake! Doin work on the court that's what I like to read! Just keep playing your tail off and have fun! (And drain a ton of threes). Enjoy that tan! Well actually this weekend all of the new mission presidents are getting trained by the Apostles, so the gym is closed so they can hold meetings. That means my gym the last few days has been spent outside in the hotttt weather. I have been ballin' up the soccer field. I have to say my arms, neck and face got a nice golden hue :) Madison! I am so sorry about your ankle! If you obey Mom and Dad you won't get hurt I promise :) I cannot believe you are 10 tomorrow!! I hope you have a great day Maddie! Keep checking the mailbox next week for a little goodie from me :) Sounds like a fun trip you guys have planned!! I better see all the pictures!!! I got the Laker package!! Thanks so much! You will get a pic of me wearing it all.
My Spanish is progressing so fast! Seriously those years in high school taking it really, really help. I have basically learned all of the verb tenses and stuff before, now it is just a matter of refreshing my mind and memorizing. I can read anything in the scriptures or hear anything in Spanish and be able to understand. It is really amazing. They have us do our personal and companion studies in English while you are on your mission, just so you don't lose your English skills. But Elder Davies and I read from the Book of Mormon everyday in Spanish, so we are really learning a lot. My strength is definitely pronunciation, so I just have to focus on memorizing words, about 50 a day.
My phone call from the airport, Hmmm...I honestly have no idea how long it will be. I guess I will have as long as I am waiting for the plane to leave. But be prepared you might have to wake up way early. Missionaries have flights all the time, midnight, 2 am, 5 am, you name it. I hope since my destination is so close I will have a daytime flight. I can buy a phone card at the bookstore here, it is up to you. Families may not visit missionaries while they are at the airport. Sorry mom! I don't know if I would like that anyway, I don't need to say goodbye again haha. We will talk and that will be perfect.
On Tuesday we heard from Elder Snow of the Second Quorum of the Seventy. Another solid talk. I learned a good missionary tactic that really anyone can use. Whenever you teach an investigator, always leave them something to do, like read from the Book of Mormon, pray, etc. This will help them build their faith. If you teach then just walk away, the investigator will not take a step closer to Christ. When they keep a commitment, they are also preparing to keep more sacred covenants, like in the temple. Anyways maybe you could try that with Rob :)
So tonight we have a "special devotional" for all missionaries and mission presidents only. I can basically guarantee we will here from the brethren if not the man, President Monson! So get ready for a great email next week! We got a new district in our zone 2 days ago. Ok its 8 elders, and they are all going to Carlsbad, Calfornia!!!!!! They are going to my home on their mission!! Haha so I have been telling them all about the area and how they will want to live there after their missions. And they of course are all speaking Spanish so you will probably never see them. There is also an elder in our zone from McGrath, a Mormon town in southern Alberta. He has been feeding me all the info I need about the Calgary area. He is a total cowboy so that's pretty funny.
Alright family thank you again so much for your support and love! I feel all of your prayers so thank you. I know that Heavenly Father is watching over you guys and wants you to keep livin' life and having fun while I am away. I love you all!!!!!! Have an awesome week of no school!!!
Love--
Elder Draper

No comments:

Post a Comment